rebeekah

1.03.2006

happy new year

so i found out today that my uncle mike and aunt lisa are now divorced.
when i first learned of their separation (early last year), i cried my eyes out—lamenting for them, their children, the pain of divorce in general…since then, they semi-reconciled. i even saw them together, all four of them as a family, just a few months ago.

but then uncle mike showed up alone at thanksgiving.

and now today this news.
and strangely, not a single tear fell. (at least, not yet.)
i’m just so tired. i’m so tired of bad news. i’m tired of things and people getting broken.

divorce is so despairing. it’s like death, but worse?

i’ve always been torn over divorce. my whole life, divorce and abortion were the two things that could almost always immediately bring tears to my eyes—and then one day i woke up and realized something: if my parents had never divorced their first spouses, i wouldn’t be here. i would have never been born.

there’s much more to say about all that, but i won’t say it. not today. for i say i’m tired of bad news, but here i am being another bearer of it.

so, hello. hello, electronic world, and i wish you well. i wish you whole, joyful relationships, especially your marital ones. fight to the DEATH, i say; may we beat those wretched statistics.

may this year be a redeeming one for those who have been in the dark too long. and may those who run hand-in-hand through grassy fields continue to do so, tempting those in the shadows to join them with the love in their eyes and the joy in their laughs.

for God’s sake,
never give up on love.

3 comment(s):

I'm sorry about your aunt and uncle. I know what you mean. It seems like no one can stay together. It makes me paranoid and then I think that is so silly b/c I control my fate for my marriage. It is just overwhelming at times.
Can't wait to see you at Bunco at my house!!!

By Blogger wiebke, at 1:59 PM  

i really love this post. thanks for sharing.

By Blogger Mary, at 8:12 PM  

So sorry about your aunt & uncle. Two of my uncles have gotten divorces in recent years, each after more than 20 years of marriage. It's so depressing. I mean, if you've made it THAT far, couldn't you just work at it? Frustrating, for sure.

By the way, I finally saw Wallace & Gromit today, and I thought of you. We LOVED it. =)

By Blogger Rachel, at 3:43 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home