rebeekah

11.19.2004

SAUSAGE BALLS and Beatrix Kiddo


The other day, I stumbled across Proverbs 9.13-18:

13 The woman Folly is loud;
she is undisciplined and without knowledge.
14 She sits at the door of her house,
on a seat at the highest point of the city,
15 calling out to those who pass by,
who go straight on their way.
16 "Let all who are simple come in here!"
she says to those who lack judgment.
17 "Stolen water is sweet;
food eaten in secret is delicious!"
18 But little do they know that the dead are there,
that her guests are in the depths of the grave. [
1]

I’m sure you can tell which phrase really jumped out at me. Now, maybe this is referring to eating food that had been offered to idols, I don’t know, but I’m (wrongfully?) going to take the phrase at face value. This phrase coming from the mouth of Folly is a perfect depiction for me of the temptation to eat (“wrong” foods and too much of them) in “secret.” I’ve been yielding to that temptation for years, and yesterday was no exception. Those darn sausage balls in the office kitchen—they were just too good NOT to eat. (Not to mention the mini chocolate éclairs!)

Why can’t I say no to Folly? How can I, at this phase in my life, still “lack [SO MUCH] judgment” (v. 16) and continue to veer from going “straight on [my] way”? (vv. 15-16) I definitely don’t need to eat that one last ball; what compels me so?

What an embarrassing state I have put myself in, and though I know there is hope for me to break free (like Beatrix Kiddo coming out of Paula Shultz’s grave), it’s hard to remember and believe sometimes. Here’s to a healthier diet and SOME form of regular exercise, beginning very soon…
(and more about Kiddo later)

1 comment(s):

I love sausage balls, too! I can't remember the last time I had one, and I can't remember the last time I saw you... Playing hopscotch between blogs has brought up a lot of memories of OBU and what it could have been. I regret not getting to know you better. I always thought you were really cool. I hope you are well there in Arkadoo.

By Blogger Suzanne, at 4:44 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home