rebeekah

10.05.2005

this and that

so, a few things:

1) a few weeks ago, i was asked in an e-mail from my secret model, "would you like to go on a paid trip to Finland in May for 4 weeks?" even though the trip is through the rotary club and i would have to do presentations and go to meetings and such, this offer is too good to be true and too good to not pursue. so i'm in the process of getting permission from my boss, applying, setting up an interview, etc. can you even believe it, because i can't.

2) today after lunch in the cafeteria with doug, he told me johnny wink had scribbled in latin, "this window was stolen" on the inside wall of the former pretty room. i had to see it (even though, of course--and sadly, i would not have been able to understand it), so we walked into lile hall (NOT by the steps that used to lead up to the building on the "english" side, because those are now non-existent) and tromped down to the room, and when we were still about 5-10 yards away, i stopped in my tracks a tear began to form. what used to be probably the most beautiful room on campus has now been reduced to an ugly shoebox of a room: the powers that be have put sheetrock over the windows that made the pretty room the pretty room. and it's gone. all for the sake of progress or some other shit like that. sorry, but it's true. i know the school of business persons (and those associated with them) are happy, but i am not sure many others are. i bet the middle of campus has diminished by a third because of the HUGE building that's going up before our disbelieving eyes. myles, john, julie and kevin, i write this especially for you. and if you didn't know, i'm sorry to be the bearer of such horrible news. i cried tears for all of us today.

3) on a lighter and much more superficial note, i got a haircut last night. i have, for the first time in probably around 14 years, bangs. "fringes," as aussies might say. :) and yes, though they may be down to my chin (they're long bangs), that's still a huge change for me. i'm kind of liking them, but we'll see. :)

4 comment(s):

i'm' astonished. crestfallen. pissed.

the pretty room is no longer pretty.

indeed, the window was stolen.

By Blogger juliebelle, at 7:37 AM  

Do you know that your posts always make me smile? They are so ...honest, graceful, grateful, humble, ebullient, seeking. I see your grin every time I read them. I love the way you face challenges but are so honest about fearing them and you look to find the lesson when things go wrong. I haven't written a comment on your blog lately, so I figured it was time to thank you for sharing your journey!

By Blogger Stephanie, at 10:30 AM  

Finland sounds cool! When will we be seeing the pic of the new bangs? I am sure you look great!

By Blogger Cecilia, at 8:16 PM  

Finland! Wow... that would be completely amazing! I can't wait to see your new haircut! I love you!

By Blogger Jace's Mom, at 11:07 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home